Frosty trails

Here in the UK, or rather the south east of the UK we very rarely get a decent snowfall, the trails are rarely properly dry and the 3 main places I ride are the North Downs which is sandy and that wrecks bikes, the South Downs are really slippery and nearer home there’s really sticky mud and horses ruin the trails so I just have to get out and make the most of it. I therefore look forward to those rare occasions when the weatherman promises a decent ground frost and immediately start planning a day of riding to make the most of the good riding conditions. I went for a ride in the Leith Hill area in the morning and because the frost lasted most of the day I did a second ride along the Downs Link in the afternoon.

It was a really nice day, not a cloud in the sky and very little wind. The frostiness of the ground meant no mud and best of all, solid ground that can be ridden as fast as in summer with out getting bogged down in mud or sliding around. I say bring on more frosts and the weatherman says back to the usual mud, rain and milder weather for next weekend, oh well…

2 comments:

ukalipt said...

looks cold! and don't come to .au pretty much all rides are sand, sand and more sand. the last edition of MTB Australia magazine had a whole double page spread on how to ride through sand. lol. deep sand.

i personally haven't done a lot of mud riding but i am thinking it may change this weekend as the manly dam ride is forcasting rain! should be interesting.

i would love to try some frosty riding. sounds like fun

LordOnOne said...

The north Down’s is usually pretty solid underfoot. I try to keep away from wherever the logging is going on though, it turns the trails into big sandpits. I remember going to Peaselake earlier in the year and riding miles in the granny gear because of the deep sand after the loggers had been through with their tractors. So far the sand has only claimed a seat clamp off me but I know people who’ve finished off most of their suspension pivots in a couple of ride!

I’d pay good money for a weather control system like in Star Trek if you know where I can my hands on one…